TV Star Geoffrey Owens Responds to Tyler Perry Offering Him a Job After Being Shamed for Bagging Groceries

New doors are certainly opening for Geoffrey Owens, after the 57-year-old actor was shamed for having a job at Trader Joe's.
Geoffrey Owens
According to Owens -- who's best known for playing Sondra Huxtable's doctor husband Elvin Tibideaux on The Cosby Show -- on Tuesday in New York City, where he talked about all the support he's received from fans and celebs alike after multiple outlets published photos of him bagging groceries at a Trader Joe's in New Jersey.
Since the headlines, Tyler Perry tweeted that he was offering Owens an acting gig on one of his OWN shows. 


"That was kind of cool," Owens said of the big opportunity. "I mean, that kind of sounded like he was saying, 'Come work with me.' I'm so, like, skeptical. Like, really? Are you actually saying come work with me? Because we've never worked together before. So, that's a very, very generous thing for him to say. And we'll see what happens with that. But, that's encouraging."
However, Owens admits that he hasn't actually seen any of Perry's shows, which include The Haves and Have NotsIf Loving You Is Wrong and House of Payne. 
"This is going to sound funny. I'm not a TV watcher," Owens says with a laugh. "Never have been. I remember the day that my first Cosby show aired back in '85! I didn't even... I barely owned a television. We had to borrow my brother's TV and set it up. It was this little, dinky thing with the satellite, the little rabbit ears and stuff, in order to watch my first show. I've never been a television watcher."
Owens also stresses that he wants to earn the role rather than it be handed to him.
"I don't expect to be offered things," he explains. "It would be lovely as one of the results of this, some doors open in terms of giving me the opportunity to audition. That, I would appreciate -- always, as all actors do. I don't necessarily feel comfortable being given things as a result of this. I mean, I'm not in a position to turn things down but... I don't expect that kind of thing. I like the idea of, you know, put me in the room with everyone else and see if I'm the right one for the job."
Read full [original] story on ET

Comments

Popular posts from this blog